Tara Herrick

Tara Herrick
Dance Dance!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Inspiration From My Daughter

I have been struggling to help my daughter in school for many years. I believe since 5th grade. I held her back in 6th and we have definitely moved from school to school way too much and that was my fault having an unstable life consistently. When you have a child at a young age you struggle with raising them and also finding out what and where you want to be in life. I was also treated not so seriously when going into the schools for meetings and concerns as a mother since I was so young. I hated that. 
Mikayla finally was listened to and watched closely in her second year of 6th grade and put into an alternative school for her 7th and 8th grade years but did both grades in one year with the right support. She then was able to move onto high school with her age group. 
She would start out every year very successfully but would shortly sabotage her own grades by not doing the work and as she started to mature as a teenager she was also acting out at home but not your normal teenage behavior. That is what many would like to tell me. I did not give up on my instincts. 
We bought a house one town away which meant a choice of 3 schools. We picked Boothbay. Once again she started out very well and then downhill fast. 
The difference, I was listened to and so was Mikayla. We were able to get a neuropsychological evaluation done in December that was extremely thorough. 
We were unable to work with that report right away because Mikayla rebelled at home around that time and ended up in shelter an hour away. The school and I kept in touch with Mikayla and the staff still trying to work on everything. That lasted 20 days and Mikayla came home learning from the experience to a point. 
We work with a social worker once to twice a week , who is amazing. Today we sat down with 7 people involved in Mikayla's education progress and success. It was wonderful and it is an example of hard work and persistence paying off. All I can do now is hope Mikayla continues to grow and grasp the help she is given and succeeds to the best of her ability and watch her hard work pay off. 
Being home and available to help my daughter use her voice to succeed has inspired me to work from home.
Thank you Carbon Copy Pro and David Bach to help me do that. 

1 comment:

  1. It's really beautiful that you're so dedicated to your daughter's life and education. So many parents just don't care or feel overwhelmed and give up, and I think that, unfortunately, is part of why so many people in the world are dealing with poverty, violence and obesity. Good luck and lots of love to you. I always remember you being so strong and capable! It's great to see you are still the same amazing person I remember.

    ReplyDelete